What is organisation development?
Well Grounded defines organisation development as a long-term process that requires a ‘whole systems’ approach. This process is made up of a series of interventions that focus on supporting an organisation to make changes to its systems, structures or culture. These changes are made with the aim of improving an organisation’s potential and performance (ex. internal functioning), as well as its efficiency (ex. external impact).
Well Grounded’s approach to organisation development
- We support organisations to take action for change
- Our primary accountability is to national civil society organisations
- We work with organisations that approach us for potential collaboration
- We choose the organisations with which we work according to our values and our availability
- We adapt our work to take into account the fact that each organisation is unique
- We look at an organisation as a whole rather than at individual parts in isolation
- We support organisations to take charge of their own development
- Organisations invest in the process in some way
- We identify issues and challenges with an organisation and not for it
- We do not tell organisations what to do: we may suggest solutions, but they make their own decisions
- We will not do anything that an organisation can do for itself
- Relationships are at the centre of our approach
- We work with everybody in an organisation who is affected by a process
- We support organisations to see how they fit into the bigger context and to make connections with others within that context
- We facilitate processes to encourage collective action across organisations
We have articulated this in a series of eight ‘benchmarks’ that together reflect the pillars of a strong organisation. Each organisation will have its own interpretation of how it wants to progress in relation to these benchmarks; however, for Well Grounded, the minimum is that an organisation be committed to the basic principles expressed in each of the them.
In the image below, hover over the circles to get more detail about each benchmark.